Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Cheers! London.

Hello to all!



I apologize for all of you readers who have been just dying waiting for my next chapter! And I apologize that pictures do not accompany this part, as I can't plug my camera into the hostel's computer to load pictures...so they will come later.



When I left off, I was going to London to visit my good friend, Sammi (main character of this part of the trip...fellow Gilbert and Sullivan Board member), who was studying this past semester as the University College of London. Turns out, when we walked to her dorm and it was Astor College, where I had stayed only a few summers ago when I was thesis researching! I also lived on the 3rd floor, just a few doors down. Sadly I found out that I was ripped off when I was there, as all the rooms are big singles, except for two rooms on the floor...mine being one of them. Sigh, ah well. Sammi's was very nice and I crashed upon arrival.

The next day we made a list of things we both wanted to do and see, and a big to-do was tea. I love high tea, and Sammi suggested The Orangery, a gorgeous place adjacent to Kensington Palace in Hyde Park. First, a must stop for lunch was Pret. (I miss Pret...and the one in NYC is just not the same.) Then we met up with Katie and Kim, her friends from UCL, and headed to the Park. It was so gorgeous and relaxing, meandering through the trees and such. We acted very touristy at Albert's memorial, but who couldn't resist taking pictures of it! (I know, I'm tempting you all with pictures that do exist.) Tea at The Orangery, if anyone is in London, is a must. It was so good (and fairly cheap for tea)...a huge spread of goodies met us at the door. Tea consisted of a pot of tea, cucumber and cream cheese sandwiches, a huge scone with clotted cream, tea cakes, and a huge slice of citrus cake. Way too good. And way British...or tourity British. I toured Kensington Palace to walk it all off, and I will say I was a bit disappointed. After Princess Margaret died, the royal family cleared the mansion, so most of the rooms are empty. However, the trompe loeil painting on the ceilings and walls were amazing! I gazed upward the whole time. It was designed by William Kent, an artist I must research further. Also interesting was how the royal family was portrayed. All the information about them is so...censored, I guess is the term. Go to the royal family's website. You'll get the idea. Later, we went to Covent Garden to meet up with her friend for food and hot chocolate.

Next day we decided to hit up the Globe, since I really wanted to go back and Sammi had never been. If you´ve never been, go! It´s such a unique way to see Shakespeare, and I think the most interesting. And if you go, stand in the Yard. Be a Groundling. Don´t pay the money to sit. The actors interact with the Groundlings and thus, the show is so much more enjoyable. I mean they fight right over you...spit on you...enter through the crowd, fly over you, etc. It´s just amazing. We saw "Othello," and the acting was just spectacular. It was great getting back to the Globe again. (When I studied in London two summers ago, I went a lot to see shows.) And because I have my Groundling routine down, I made Sammi get there an hour early to queue up for the doors to the doors of the Globe to open. At 45 minutes out, they open said doors and you run and queue at the theater doors. At 30 minutes out or so, they open the doors and it´s like the Filene´s Basement wedding dress sale. You run...trip people if you have to...and stampede your way front and center. That´s the way to properly do the Globe. Thank you, Sammi, for putting up with me! But I think it was worth it. All of the intense scenes were played right over us. It was so cool. The best part was when a pigeon flew in between Iago and Othello during a really intense dialogue, started strutting the stage, and cooing. Iago got to the line, "that cuckold lives in bliss," and everyone just started laughing hysterically. He bowed to the pigeon and it flew cooed and flew away. After being in awe of the Globe for awhile, we headed back to Astor to cook for a potluck dinner with some of Sammi´s friends. It was really fun to meet everyone, and I threw together a quick chocolate trifle using Swiss cake rolls, custard, and Cadbury Crunchies...chocolate covered honeycombs...turned out well. It translates to every culture.

The next day, Sammi headed to the Tower while I took a tour of the Tower Bridge (nice views) and the Design Museum. The Design Museum is much smaller than the Cooper Hewitt in New York, but they had some interesting exhibits on Colani and Sottsass. But the highlight was going back to the Globe. I think it´s my favorite place to visit in London...I bought myself a ticket to "In Extremis," a new play about the struggles of love and religion of Peter Abelard and his student, Heloise. Sammi and I saw the exhibition (which is fabulous if you are visiting London) and took a tour. We dined at the oh-so-elegant Pizza Express, and I rushed back to the Globe to get on queue. Usually I arrive an hour before so I can be at least one of the first 15 in line for the Yard...but today, I got there 45 minutes early. The steward pointed me in the direction of the door and said, "You´ll see the cue." I´m thinking, "Oh no. 45 minutes isn´t early enough. I´ll be in the back!" (I kind of have to stand in front or else I can´t see over people...) I get around the corner and I see two stewards talking to a guy who turns and screams, "I´m number one and you´re number two!" Two? Wow. I had my pick of where I wanted to stand for sure! In line, I started talking to said man, a violist, and two students behind me and we sauntered in first, getting the spots front and center! Awesome. And the show was excellent. Definitely extreme, but fantastic acting...I mean, as always at the Globe. You can´t get better entertainment for 5 pounds. Went to dinner with Denise and her friend (the students behind me in line) and headed to Astor to repack my bag for my flight to Madrid the next morning.

Madrid chapter to come later. Technically, I´m leaving Madrid tomorrow morning for Sevilla, but hostel computers can only be occupied for so long. Cheers!

1 comment:

Caset said...

hurrah! that sounds wonderful. theater and sammi and tea - what could be better? I hope madrid was wonderful too and can't wait to hear about it. it's oppressively hot here, but exams are out for everyone, so we had a mini g&s picnic - not as nice as last year but rootbeer floats are okay too - by the river. much love!
casey