Sunday, September 2, 2007

Arriving in Amsterdam!

Arriving in Amsterdam meant finally meeting my cousin David. He's actually my grandmother's first cousin, but I'm not quite sure what that makes us, so "cousin" will have to do. I had been hearing about this David for years, but we had never met. Relatives are always going to visit him (he moved to Amsterdam many years ago), and they told me that he loves to travel, especially to see art, architecture, and culture. Sounds up my alley! I went to visit this cousin David and indeed he is probably one of the coolest people I have ever met! He and I got along from our first conversation, and he was so nice to take me around his city, bring me to concerts, direct me to places of interest, and cook me many amazing home cooked meals.


One such meal led to our first late night conversation. After my train ride and about my 2 months of eating out, David assumed, and quite rightly, that I would want a home cooked meal. But this was no baked chicken or burger. We started with stuffed zucchini and moved onto duck breast. He cooked me duck! And of course, we ended with a cheese plate. I think I have met my match when it comes to cheese. He knows way more about cheeses than I, which was very beneficial to my palate. I mean, I am in the land of gouda, but we tried all sorts of regional and French cheeses from De Kaaskamar, or the cheeseshop. And I met Mrs. Mavis Morris, the very cute, very intelligent, and very elusive cat who decided that she liked me one minute and then couldn't give a care less the next. But I enjoyed her company even if she didn't enjoy mine.

David has this amazing work schedule for which he doesn't actually have to wake up until 11AM every morning...so, having travelled for as long as I had, I took advantage of such luxury and slept late, almost every day. I think I needed it as much as it was luxurious. After a bunch that lasted well into the afternoon, David took me around his gorgeous city, pointing out all the architectural gems and the details of Amsterdam's rowhouses. First of all, they have a great system of moving furniture to upper floors. There's a hook at the top of every house. Using pulleys, they lift furniture up and down and bring it in through the windows. Probably they were first used for moving goods, but I approve of the invention. Second of all, there are so many kinds of gables. I love them all. Third of all, they all slant in towards the street. It's definitely intentional and not accidently sinkage of the city. David liked the theory that it's to keep rain off the lower floors and bring shade. I'll buy it for now. Saw the green copper NEMO boat hull which is interesting, and then David pointed to an amazing building, now rennovated into a hotel. It was the headquarters of the steamboat companies and it's done in an amazing combination of Jugenstil style and the Amsterdam school style. Acing cool and avoiding noisy check in staff, we made our way to the upper floors and through the gorgeous atrium which has glass maps of the world and the original ticket counter windows. Everything was a nautical theme, down to the door handles, and it's definitely worth a trip in if you are in Amsterdam! Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the church he took me to, but we walked into a gorgeously colorful church and a cellist was playing. We went into trances for awhile enjoying the beauty of it all, and headed to a different neighborhood to look at quaint courtyards. Ate at a great Italian restaurant, but had to head back for, of course, cheese. We decided that I must go for a day to Brussels and maybe to Haarlem, but not to Alkmaar, where the famous cheese auction happens every Friday. I thought it would be hilarious, but David said that Brussels would be a better choice. Oh the cheese auction, you will have to wait.

No comments: