Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Milano!

So again, with train schedules, I had two nights in Milan, and one full day. With tips from Gloria, my friend and TF from school who is from Milan, and Rowan, another friend from school who has spent lots of time in and studying Italy, I had a very full day planned. This is going to seem like a list of things, because it is. I walked for a good 12-13 hours straight today...my feet are definitely feeling it...and so it my brain. Lots to absorb.

Started off bright and early at the Brera, a museum Gloria absolutely loves, and has some real gems in the collection. I figured out what they were from a Chinese tourist group who was ushered from one gem to the next with no time to look around in between. Funny how tour groups work. Can't imagine just travelling on a tour. I can understand a day tour, so you get context and history, but then having time to go back and really study what you want to see. Didn't seem like that kind of tour. Maybe that's why John Harvard is so popular...how did it get on all those tour lists...like Plimouth Rock. Anyway...that's a completely different can of worms...

Then went down the street to the Teatro alla Scala, the famous opera house, which is also gorgeous! Every theater I have visited, the techies have been working...I miss tech already. I'll have to definitely keep in touch with it...either design, or even just a crew for awhile, moving stuff around. I wouldn't mind. OK, without getting too nostalgic and back on track, saw the museum there which was really cool, too. From there, walked through the 3 storey arcade of the Galleria Emannuele II to the Duomo. Wow. I didn't know what to expect, and then there it is! They are doing work on the lower front, but walking around it, it was gorgeous! All white and decorated. Beautiful. Went inside...gigantic! Walked around for a long time, and then tried to take the stairs up to the roof...but the stairs were "closed," so I had to take the lift. I felt like I was cheating the system, but I guess now my feet are thanking me for it. The roof is really designed for people to walk around it. It's a very cool space to be in. Great views of the city too! Walked down the stairs because they were now open...not the same...but will have to do. Went to the Pinacoteca Ambrosiana, which has the prep drawings for Raphael's School of Athens...again, HUGE. Can't wait to see the real thing. Had an interesting half English half Italian discussion with a guard about art...a little difficult you can imagine. Heading up to the Castello Sforzesco, another MASSIVE building that houses 10 museums. Hit about 3 of them and decided to move on to the Basilica di Sant'Ambrogio, a favorite of both Rowan and Gloria. And it is gorgeous! (I know, it's a favorite word...along with huge...but that seems to be the trend in the places I'm going.) Anyway, Rowan, I saw your red haired Jesus. I even risked taking a picture. I'll post it for you at some point. From there, Gloria instructed me to walk down to the Navigli, a district of old canals and cheap eats. Had some pizza (glad to get Italian food!) and a cannoli.

Spending the night relaxing in the internet cafe across from my hotel to post pics, finally, and update the blog, hence the 3 posts in a few hours. Headed off tomorrow for Pisa for a few hours and then on to Rome! Ciao!

No comments: